Thursday, 21 March 2013

Making a Corner Scene - Uni Work!

I am now at the end of the second semester of my first year as a Game Design student at UCLan and thought this would be a good time to get a blog up and running.

My most recent University project was the creation of a corner scene using the Unreal engine, from scratch, using Maya to model items, Photoshop to texture, and the UDK engine to present my assets in.

I decided early on that I would theme my corner as a prison/wine cellar style room as this would allow me to create some simple items, such as crates and bottles, that wouldn't be too difficult for me to model, as I only have a couple of months of experience with Maya. The scene's setting would also mean that I could make use of the lighting and use a contrast of dark and light areas in my scene.

After drawing up some preliminary sketches of what I wanted to achieve with this scene, I opened up Maya and modeled some items. I then UV mapped them and created the textures in Photoshop before important it all into UDK and fiddling with the lighting to get it looking how I wanted it to look. From beginning to end, this project took a total of about 10-12 hours over the course of two weeks.

The picture below is the presentation picture of the final project.

No comments:

Post a Comment